I am always looking for ideas to help stretch the dollar and just happened across a great idea. I recently purchased some candlestick holders from Goodwill as I talked about it this post. I thought that I would try to see if I could change them out for the seasons, but was stuck as to how to disguise the fact - that my oversized candles were being used on my skinny candlestick holders. I love the different heights that I can achieve using these and maybe some day I will be able to find some larger ones. Until then - I ran across this great idea:
This image has been borrowed from the Southern Living Magazine website - I found one similar in the December issue of my magazine. I decided to try to see if I could copy it and make an inexpensive "candle wreath" as I call it. I went to my favorite store - Hobby Lobby and purchased my supplies.
You only need a few things to complete this simple project. I purchased three hydrangea clusters and some ribbon. I kind of like the berries that they added in the Southern Living magazine picture too. I can always add those in later if I want. The only other things that you will need to complete this project are scissors, a glue gun (save your fingers and use a low temp one - trust me I learned this the hard way - ouch!) and a candle. I simply cut the individual sprigs off the hydrangea cluster and hot glued them on a piece of ribbon that I had cut to size and tied to fit the center of my candle. Make sure that you leave enough length on your ribbon to be able to tie a pretty bow in back.
It's hard to make a small bow with the larger ribbon, but I kind of like the way it looks this way.
When I started this project, I was concerned because it looks kind of flat when you are first starting to put the sprigs on. Just keep layering - it will start to look fuller the more you add in. Add as much as you want - the more the better! I wiggled it down to fit around the base of my candle, but if you want to leave it in the center - it looks just as good. Imagine the possibilites with this project! This can be made for any season. You can use any type of flower for this - or you could layer small Christmas ornaments all the way around the ribbon. How cute would that be! The possibities are endless! I love it when I find a picture that causes such a light bulb moment. Especially one that produces such inexpensive results. Honestly - this project only cost me $11.50! Thank you Hobby Lobby for your 50% off holiday specials! Of course I already had the glue, the glue gun and the candles, but honestly - who doesn't have candles laying around at Christmas time!
So far I have made four of them. I still have four more to go. I was hoping to fill in the centerpiece with all eight of them like I did in my November post that I directed you to. But what do you think about leaving it like this - less is more? Or should I add in more of the candles around the outside of the filled jar. I even tried it with the top on the jar like you see in my very first picture at the top of this post, and I also tried it with candles inside the jar - which I wasn' t too crazy about. Maybe I don't even need the jar or - maybe I am just overthinking this whole thing!
I would love to hear your suggestions and also how you like this easy project that I made. If you try it for yourself, please send me your link and I will feature it on my blog so that we can all can see your "take" on this project and how it works in your home!
I am having so much fun finding inexpensive ways to make my home beautiful! I hope to be able to share more ideas with you in the future so come back to see me soon!
Blessings to you,