Wednesday, May 27, 2009

W.I.P.(Work(s) In Progress) Wednesday


Isn't this a beautiful machine? Unfortunately it isn't mine - just one I found on the internet, but I wish it were! One day I hope to find one of these beauties to bring home - but alas - no room in the sewing room for one now!
Lately my sewing room looks like a bomb went off in it! My creative juices are flowing - but running in all directions at the moment. Why start one project when you can have four going at once? I don't know what I was thinking - but after completing my Alphabet Book, I have been thinking about the many things I would like to finish up for the year. I thought I would show you a few of them.


I know this is a blurry picture and the blocks need ironing....

This is a quilt that I have been working on for my daughter. She would probably tell you that I have been promising it to her for years now. It is a fairly easy quilt - It is blanket stitched on the sewing machine and goes together very quickly. I will add the butterfly antennae later by hand. I stopped working on this when I went back to school to become a nurse and never picked it back up again even though I have taken a year off from my schooling. Why is it I always want to start projects when my school quarters are about to start back up again? I hope to use this as a stress reliever this time - and actually finish it for her while I still can!


I found this pattern in the Fons and Porter's "For The Love Of Quilting" magazine - March/April 2001 issue. It is a Depression Era quilt made with Reproduction 1930's fabrics. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it and knew I had to make it! I don't know why I love the look of blanket stitching so much - I seem to do a lot of it. I think because I am fairly new at quilting, it is easier than needleturn applique for me - although I have done both.



Here's a close up of my unironed blocks :-)

I love all of the different fabrics that you can get in these repro colors. They will add so much character to this quilt!I will post more blocks as I complete them.



This was one of my take-along projects that I worked on in the plane on my way to/from Hawaii. I am terribly behind in this Block Of The Month. This is a fun new free Block of The Month quilt called A Tisket A Tasket that is offered from a very talented lady Anne Sutton of Bunny Hill Designs. I know many of you in blogland are making these blocks and you have all inspired me to make them too! They have been a challenge for me - I wanted to do the needle turn method and tried several times to prepare the blocks - I kept making mistakes and finally decided to just do these blocks in my old favorite quick method - blanket stitch! After the Alphabet Book - I really wanted to work on something a little different rather than blanket stitch - but I am pleased with how it looks so far. They are quick to prepare and quick to complete. This is the January block - so I needed a quick method to get myself caught up!

When I just couldn't handle doing one more blanket stitch on the plane - I pulled this project out. I will be talking more about these fun blocks in the future and have joined a fun group that is on my sidebar to keep me motivated to complete this quilt. This will eventually be made into a quilt called Grandmothers flower garden.

It will eventually look like this! Isn't it beautiful? This isn't my quilt - just another borrowed picture from the web. I just love the look of this quilt! I am doing this totally by hand using the English Paper Piecing method. I will show more of these as I put them together. To see more beautiful quilts done using this method - check out The Great Hexagon Quilt Along Two.

I need to get to work -

Blessings on your creative day today!

Kymber

6 comments:

Faye said...

Kymber, This is beautiful.I know you must be so proud.This looks like a lot of work.Have a great day! Blessings, Faye

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Kymber, you are SO talented! I always enjoy seeing what you're making. These are amazing. :-)

XO,

Sheila

Beginner said...

I wish I were as talented as you. All of the projects you are working on right now really strike my fancy. I have a major thing for quilts.

I even have a couple I purchased that have rod pockets, for hanging on the wall. I switch them out behind the couch in my family room. The darker one for Fall & Winter and the lighter one for Spring & Summer. I can think of very little prettier than a hand-made quilt.

I know your daughter will love hers when it is completed, just as I am sure your granddaughter will always cherish the book you made.

Sue said...

Hi Kymber,
The Lord has certainly gifted you to be able to create with your hands, my mother has the same gift. I so admire people who are gifted as such. I am so looking forward to seeing your butterfly quilt when it is finished.
Blessings,
Sue

kymber said...

Hi Beginner,
I have always wanted to have a seasonal quilt on display like you have. I am sure yours are beautiful! I agree with you- There is just something about a homemade quilt. I have a quilt top that my grandmother made all by hand. It is so beautiful and I would loveto finish it and handquilt it one day. I am so intimidated though - I want to do it justice if I DO take on the task of handquilting it. I think that is what got my quilt obsession started in the first place!
Blessings,
Kymber

Lois Christensen said...

Love that machine! I have one exactly like it but it sits in the beautiful "case" and I use it in my mudroom as a place for us to put our keys, cell phones, etc. I love it! Looks like you have a lot of work to do! Enjoy your day!