Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Project To Share

One day while I was out window shopping at TJ Maxx, I happened across this beautiful sign that would be perfect for above the pantry wall in my kitchen. It had been marked down to a VERY reasonable price. I looked around - so excited that I was the first to notice this beauty - I just knew it had to go home with me. In my excitement, I didn't at first notice that it had been dropped and the corner was damaged! I was devastated when I saw it and quickly put it down. I walked around the store for about a half hour frantically trying to justify taking it home with me despite the break - I had to have it!

My mind went back to a post I had read on Rhoda's blog. If you have never read this charming blog you need to! It will open your eyes to so many new ideas in decorating. Rhoda is one talented lady! If you are stopping by to read it for the first time, you really need to go back and read from the beginning. Every post that she has written is so valuable you will need to take notes! Be prepared to be immersed in beauty - you are in for a special treat!!

Rhoda doesn't let a little damage get her down. She takes it home and fixes it - making it like new! I knew I had to try her idea for myself.

Being the procrastinator that I am, this project has been sitting in my craft room unfinished for a few months. I was afraid to attempt it! If I can't make it perfect the first time around, I don't want to even try - are you like that? I really wanted to show you all the end results though, so I knew I had to get in there and just do it!

I purchased some air dry clay at Joann's Fabric and Craft store. You need to use this product - it is amazing! When it hardens, it feels like plastic and is very durable! The link that I gave you isn't the brand that I used, but it is basically the same product.




Here it is in it's beginning stage. I just molded it to the corner - being careful to keep the rustic feel to the picture. This was a perfect first project to start with - it was hard to mess this one up! As a matter of fact - it was kind of difficult to simulate the imperfections on the corner!


Here it is with paint brushed on. I first added an off white coloring, then antiqued it with burnt umber. I am not sure it I am quite happy with it yet, I may play around a bit more with the coloring - told you I was a perfectionist!


Even if it isn't perfect - no one will be able to see when it is hung up above the door to my pantry - I will post a picture after I am done messing with it :-)


I hope this inspires you to try something new. Don't be afraid to add an item to your shopping cart that may be slightly damaged. I was able to get the store to give me a larger discount due to the damage and walked away with something that I am now really pleased with.

Step out of your comfort zone like I did! You will be amazed at what you can do - now go read Rhoda's blog! You won't be disappointed!
Blessings,
Kymber

10 comments:

Deb said...

I'm so glad it turned out for you, isn't it amazing what you can do if you just let your fears go and go for it. It looks really great!

Lois Christensen said...

I wouldn't even notice the crack unless you point it out! Looks great and how smart are you??? I'm heading over to her blog now! Thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

Great job sweetie.It looks brand new.
How are you enjoying that son being home?I'll bet you're just making cookies and having a ball...Ann

Glenda said...

It is such a joy in my day when you post. This looks really great. I am always looking for that orphan that nobody else wants and attempting to turn it into what the designer meant for it to be. You are a real inspiration. I definitely need to check out the website you referenced.

kymber said...

Hi Glenda,
Thanks for that - you are such a sweetheart! I always enjoy reading your sweet comments they make my day bright!
Blessings to you,
Kymber

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That's a wonderful sign, Kymber. I love it, and you did a great job. I'm glad you bought it!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Marie De Marco said...

Kymber,
funny, i liked it cracked seems like the "marble" could have cracked in that manner. now, i'm so impressed with your repair work. wow! one would ever know you made a repair.
marie

Victorian Garden Gourmet said...

I too am a rescuer. I don’t let a little damage get in the way. You did a fantastic fix-up-in your photos you can’t tell at all. I am just getting around to some projects I have been putting off, but they are just a drop-in-the-bucket. It’s always something!

Kathy said...

It looks fabulous! I love this!!!

Ali said...

What a perfect repair!